Canada Working Holiday Visa

Useful Links

Requirements for a Working Holiday Visa.
Broken down by country[Click here]

Canadian Consulate General 
The Canadian Consulate General is based in Sydney and the website is valuable for information regarding visas, immigration & tourism. [Click here].

Social Insurance Number (SIN) 
Required to gain employment in Canada - with a form able to be downloaded at the Human Resource Development Canada website. [Click here] and [Click here]

Income Tax Issues 
Covered by the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency. [Click here]

Working Overseas Information 
Provided by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, this website gives valuable information regarding things to consider when working overseas. [Click here

Canada International 
Here you will find the best links to Canadian Government services, information and resources, for citizens of other countries. [Click here]

Social Insurance Number Info

Before you can start working in Canada, you need to have your SIN (Social Insurance Number).  A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is an identification number given to each person for the purposes of income tax, Employment Insurance, old age pension, etc.   It’s similar to the Australian Tax File Number.

You will need to wait until you are in Canada to apply for your SIN, because you need to be able to prove not only your identity, but also your status in Canada.  This means that you will need your passport, with your work permit issued in it, to prove that you are eligible to apply for a SIN.

To apply for a SIN you must complete an application form.  Application forms may be picked up at your local Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC) office, or you can download the form from their website at (do a search under Forms for SIN).

It is best to apply for your SIN in person at a HRDC office.  The process is faster and more convenient, and you don’t have to part with your passport or work permit.  Applying by mail takes longer, and requires you to send your passport as your identity document must be an original, not a copy.

You will usually receive your SIN card by mail within three weeks from the date you submit your application.

There should be cost associated with applying for your SIN the first time, however if you loose it and require a new card to be issued you will be required to pay a fee.

Make sure that you lodge your SIN application as soon as you reach Canada, as when you find employment your employer will require your SIN within the first few days.